from Mirea Ellis
In this quick to prepare dish you get a great combination of protein, greens, and roots. Just add a whole grain and a little pickle for a complete meal. It also includes cilantro, a food you don’t often see in macrobiotic recipes. In macrobiotics we categorize foods in different ways, one of which is recommendations for frequency of use. Some are recommended for daily use (like kale or carrots) while cilantro is considered an “occasional” food, to be eaten less often, perhaps one a week or less. But this does not mean to avoid it, and cilantro has an outstanding benefit: it draws heavy metals, including mercury, from body tissues, after which they are excreted in the urine. This is a great reason to incorporate it into your diet!
- package extra firm tofu
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 3 heads baby bok choy or 1/2 medium head nappa cabbage
- 1 large carrot
- 1 bunch scallions
- 2 Tablespoons ume vinegar
- Wash cilantro well and cut into 1 inch size pieces.
- Separate leaves of baby bok choy or Chinese cabbage, and wash well. If using baby bock choy cut stalks into one inch size pieces and set aside. Cut leaves into one inch size pieces and put with cut cilantro. If using Chinese cabbage cut into one inch size pieces and put with cut cilantro.
- Cut scallion lower white, and more solid middle part, into 1/2 size pieces and put aside with baby bock choy stems. Cut upper hollow leaves of scallions into 2 inch pieces and put aside with cilantro and bok choy leaves.
- Cut carrot into very fine matchsticks as follows: Cut 2 inch sections. Cut each section in half lengthwise. Put cut flat side of one section down on the cutting board. Cut lengthwise in very thin strips. Cut the thin strips lengthwise again into thin matchstick pieces.
- Place pan on medium-high to high flame and crumble tofu into the pan by squeezing the block in your hand.
- Sprinkle ume vinegar over tofu and slowly stir for 4 minutes. Water will come out of tofu and evaporate.
- Place the cut baby bok choy stalks and lower parts of scallions on top of tofu, cover, and simmer covered for 1 minute.
- Place the rest of the vegetables in the pot on top of those already there, cover, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, move ingredients from pot to a platter and serve immediately.