By Kushi Chef, Alfred Liu
Ingredients for Filling
- White Meat Fish (Haddock)
- Nappa Cabbage
- Arrowroot powder
- Sesame oil
Ingredients for Dough:
- 1 ½ cups Spelt
- 1 ½ cups Pastry Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- Luke Warm Water
- Rolling stick to roll out the dough into proper size.
Directions to Prep Dough: (should be done first)
- Mix all ingredients together with a cup of water to mix thoroughly. Make sure constantly is easy to press and roll out. Not so soft or hard. Set aside.
- After 10 mins knit again. Leave in bowl with wet towel to cover so it does not dry out. Repeat this 3x kneading for 5-8 mins.
Directions to Prep Filling:
- Finely cut nappa cabbage and roughly hack. Pieces do not need to be perfect (approx. 4 cups). Add salt to press and massage. Let rest.
- Grate ginger (approx. 1 tsp). Finely chop leeks (about ¼ cup).
- Soak dried shiitake overnight and drain water (or fresh shiitake can be used). Finely chop and roughly hack similar to cabbage pieces.
- To prepare the fish, wash and cut into fillet slices and mince into meat size. The smaller the pieces the easier to pack into the dough. (approx. 2 cups).
- Add all filler ingredients in bowl with shoyu and sesame oil (roughly 4 tblsp). Make sure filling is moist. Add arrowroot to help bind mixture together (approx. 1 ½ tblsp).
- Let filling sit aside 5-10 minutes.
Directions to Prep Dumpling:
- Bring 3 quarts of Water to a boil.
- Cut dough so you can roll into long pretzel like. Cut the stipe of dough into 1-inch pieces. Press each piece to form round and roll out dough, with a rolling pin, into a flat circle.
- Fill the circle with your filling on one side and flip dough over to make a half circle. Pinch around the dough to seal, making a dumpling-like pinch.
- Placed formed dumpling into boiling water for approx 3-4 mins. When it rises to the surfaces you know it’s ready. Scoop out, let drain.
- Take skillet pan and heat with sesame oil to make pan fried dumplings.