Blueberry Tart with Cashew Cream
Bettina Zumdick, Kushi Institute teacher and counselor, has been involved in Macrobiotics for over twenty-five years. A native of the Baltic Sea area in Germany, she studied food science at the University of Muenster. Bettina has taught Macrobiotics and other mind-body-spirit related topics such as meditation, Tao Yin Yoga and chanting throughout Europe and the United States.
Enjoy this refreshing dessert courtesy of Bettina. Learn more about Bettina at http://www.bettinazumdick.com/.
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup sunflower seed oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups organic apple juice
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon agar flakes
- 1 tablespoon kuzu, diluted in 2 tablespoons of water
- ¼ cup rice syrup or maple syrup
- ½ pint fresh blueberries (or other seasonal berries like strawberries, raspberries or pitted cherries)
- fresh mint leaves for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Farenheit.
- Lightly oil a tart pan or line with parchment paper.
- In separate bowls, mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients. Next, gently whisk the wet ingredients into the dry mixture until the dough forms a ball. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to approximately 1/8 inch thickness. Transfer the dough into the tart pan, cutting off excess dough around the edges. Bake for 5 to 12 minutes or until the dough is golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Place apple juice, salt, agar flakes and rice syrup in a saucepan. Turn on heat and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally and boil until agar flakes are dissolved. Add diluted kuzu, stirring constantly to prevent lumping. Simmer until thickened. Stir in blueberries. Remove from heat and pour over pre-baked crust. Refrigerate to set filling. Garnish with mint leaves.
- 10 Delicious Desserts for All Occasions
Adapted from 10 Delicious Desserts for All Occasions
Kushi Institute http://www.kushiinstitute.org/